The Full Story
Kleiman Pump & Well Drilling, Inc. was founded by Bill and Elaine Kleiman in 1946 when they purchased Erickson Pump Service which sold and repaired gasoline and water pumps. Shortly after the purchase of this company, the name was changed to Kleiman Pump Service. The company purchased it’s first cable tool rig while still operating from a house in the Kingsford Heights.
As the business grew, so did the growing pains. In 1961, Bill’s son, Harry, took over the company and relocated the operations from Bill’s backyard to a steel building located at the junction of US2 and M95 where it currently sits today.
As the company became increasingly involved with the iron mines, a second building was erected and more employees hired, including a full time secretary. Soon, the need became apparent to purchase a larger and more capable rock drilling equipment. The company then purchased its first heavy rotary drill – the first of many to follow.
Additional equipment continued to be purchased as the business continued to grow. Exploration work soon required the addition of a large diamond drill, again the first of many to follow. A service truck equipped with a boom for pulling well pumps was also purchased (to help on the deeper pumps set on galvanized pipe). Since then, the addition of equipment and innovative technology has kept Kleiman Pump & Well Drilling, Inc. on the forefront of the water well drilling industry.
The business is now being run by Erik Kleiman, son of Harry Kleiman. Erik has grown and operated the business successfully accompanied by many dedicated and hard-working employees throughout the years. They are continually expanding and will continue to serve the Upper Peninsula of Michigan as well as Northern Wisconsin in all of their well-drilling needs!